What is the difference between CBD isolate, broad-spectrum, and full-spectrum?
CBD isolate is the pure form of cannabidiol and is produced by removing all other compounds found in the hemp plant including terpenes (essential oils), flavonoids, and over 100 other cannabinoids. (You will not find isolated CBD products at Canvas Boutique & Dispensary.)
Full spectrum CBD is an extract that contains all cannabinoids and terpenes found naturally occurring in the hemp plant. A full spectrum products provides the “entourage effect“, meaning a magnified therapeutic benefit. Researchers found that full spectrum CBD provided higher levels of relief, compared to subjects administered CBD isolate alone.
Broad spectrum CBD is similar to Full Spectrum CBD, in that the other compounds found within the plant are preserved in the extract; however, THC is completely removed. THC combined with CBD was found to provide greater pain relief but broad spectrum products are available for those that may be mindful of having to pass “drug tests” for employment.
What are some of the extraction methods ?
- C02 extraction
- Steam distillation
- Solvent extraction (hydrocarbons such as butane or naturals solvents such as alcohol)
- Carrier oil extraction
What are pros and cons of some of these methods?
How do you use a CBD concentrate?
Generally, CBD concentrates such as CO2 and solvent extractions are used sublingual (administered under the tongue) but it can also be infused into food, beverages, and topical products. CO2 extractions are also used in vape cartridges as an option for quick relief.
What is Kief?
Kief is a concentrated form of cannabis in that it is created by removing the resinous glands or trichomes which form on the flower bud. Different size screens are used to sift the trichomes from the flower. It looks like powder, but is actually tiny pieces of sticky, crystallized resins.
How is Kief used?
Kief is more potent than flower bud alone. Some kief can contain up to 50% CBD. Some pack a bowl or roll a joint of kief or simply sprinkle a little on top of a bowl of flower. Keep in mind that kief burns quickly and stays lit until it’s completely gone—meaning that if you get distracted, the kief will burn up on its own.
Canvas offers a beautiful variety of Hemp flower, grown with organic standards in Missouri
How to decarboxylate hemp flower for edibles and tea:
A lot of consumers assume that THC is the only element that requires activation to be effective, but CBD also needs the extra push. This heat process turns the THCa and CBDa into the active compounds, THC and CBD. To decarboxylate your cannabis you will need a few tools, some patience and an oven.
You will need:
- 1 gram or more of hemp flower
- Baking sheet
- Grinder or knife
- Parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Finely chop or grind the herb, then line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Some use a coffee or cannabis grinder.
- Sprinkle the ground flower across the middle of the lined baking pan.
- Bake the hemp in the oven for 35 minutes to decarboxylate.
CBD Tea recipe
Edibles are a treat, but this tea beats most recipes out there, with how fast it is to put together. The best part is that you can personalize the flavor and keep things interesting by switching up the type of tea bags used, which can help to keep the effects of this CBD tea fun and enjoyable.
You will need
- 1 teaspoon of CBD oil (or 1 gram of decarboxylated flowers)
- 1 tea bag (any flavor)
- 1 mug
- ½ cup of boiling hot water
- 1 small teaspoon
- Tea infuser or fine strainer
- Optional: Flavor additives such as milk or sweetener
- Fill a small pot with water and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Pour the boiling hot water over the tea bag and then add in the cannabis oil (if applicable).
- If using ground hemp flower, gently stir in the flower with the tea bag and steep for a couple minutes or longer for a stronger brew.
- Strain the tea and gently press, to release the delightful aromas and smells of your favorite tea.
- Your CBD tea is now ready to serve and is best enjoyed while hot.
*Note many find hemp flower tea to be very relaxing even without decarboxylation.
Hemp flower tea provides bitters that aid rest and digestion. Bitters are often underappreciated and lacking in the diet.
Wishing you the best of health.